Writers Writing: Prose and Memoir as Poetry
Learn the intricacies of prose poems, and write your own. Registration required.
This writing workshop will open with an introduction to the prose poem format and a brief history of the genre, with its current acceptance by many literary magazines. The potential fit between the prose poem and true vignettes drawn from lived experience will be highlighted, and examples shared. Attendees will discuss several poems in small groups, considering the elements of story-telling, vivid details and images, and the use of humor and variations in voice.
In the second part of the workshop, participants will write drafts of two prose poems, one derived from a childhood event, and one from an adult perspective. Participants will be invited to share their emerging vignettes, and to consider how their experience as poets, fiction or nonfiction writers may nourish their approach. The workshop will conclude with a handout, including resources for further study of the prose poem.
Carol Barrett holds doctorates in both clinical psychology and creative writing. She coordinates the Creative Writing Certificate Program at Union Institute & University, and teaches in the Creativity Studies Program at Saybrook University. Her books include Calling in the Bones (Snyder Prize from Ashland Poetry Press), Drawing Lessons (Finishing Line Press), and Pansies (creative nonfiction, Sonder Press.)
Phone: (541) 312-1063
Event url: www.deschuteslibrary.org/calendar/event/53979
601 Northwest Wall Street
Bend, OR 97701
More Event Ideas
- More Community Events
- History Pub - Robert Sawyer, Conservation, & the Making of Central Oregon at East Bend Public LibraryWednesday, Sep 25, 12:00 PM
- First Interstate Bank's Empty Bowls Presented by Lonza Pharma & Biotech at Central Oregon Community CollegeSunday, Oct 27, 12:00 PM
- Wednesday, Sep 25, 6:00 PM
- More Events at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks Room
- Understanding and Countering Bias in Professional and Personal Environments at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks RoomSaturday, Oct 12, 9:30 AM
- Writers Writing: From Character to Story with Kim Fu at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks RoomSaturday, Oct 5, 11:00 AM
- Writers Reading: The Ideal Viking with Author C.J. Adrien at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks RoomSunday, Nov 17, 2:00 PM