Know Government - The Life and Death of Democracies
Explore some of history's most successful and unsuccessful democracies with Murray Godfrey.
Democracy as a form of government has been an ideal since antiquity, but in the scope of world history, democracy as a dominant form of governance has only lasted for relatively short time periods, and the ideal may be in a precarious position again. COCC history professor Murray Godfrey will discuss some of history's most successful and unsuccessful democracies, the circumstances of their rise and fall, and implications for the future
Murray A. Godfrey is history professor at Central Oregon Community College where he has worked since 2012. He received a Master of Arts degree in History from Texas State University specializing in the history of 17th and 18th century North America. Prior to coming to Central Oregon, Murray previously taught for Austin Community College in Austin, TX and Alamo Community College District in San Antonio, TX.
Phone: (541) 312-1032
Event url: www.deschuteslibrary.org/calendar/event/54829
601 N.W. Wall St.
Bend, OR 97701
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- OSU-Cascades Science Pub - A New Way to Help Water Stressed Communities at Father Luke’s Room at McMenamins Old St. FrancisTuesday, Oct 15, 5:30 PM
- Saturday, Oct 26, 10:00 AM
- Volunteer Info Night: Deschutes National Forest at Deschutes National Forest, Bend-Fort Rock Ranger DistrictThursday, Oct 17, 6:00 PM
- More Events at Downtown Bend Library
- Tuesday, Oct 22, 6:30 PM
- Wednesday, Oct 30, 6:00 PM
- Writers Writing: Writing for Youth - Voice, Pace, and Respecting Your Audience at Downtown Bend LibrarySaturday, Nov 2, 1:00 PM