Know Government: A History of Anarchy
Examine anarchism through history and pop culture.
Current political discourse often focuses on what function the state should serve, and how to make it better. The question most overlooked is, "Do we need the state at all?" Rejecting the usual State of Nature and Leviathan arguments, anarchists have answered with a resounding, "NO!"
In this discussion, we'll look at the history of modern anarchism, and some of the tendencies under the black flag that have attempted to answer, "What do we need instead?"
Aadrial Phillips studied political science at Portland State University. She made it out with a degree, a healthy suspicion of institutional authority, and a belief that the state causes more harm than good. Before moving to Bend, she spent most of her time organizing with the Portland IWW and various anarchist affinity groups, and continuing her political education by reading everything she could.
Phone: (541) 312-1063
Event url: www.deschuteslibrary.org/calendar/event/54769
601 Northwest Wall Street
Bend, OR 97701
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- Saturday, Sep 28, 10:00 AM
- FREE Women's Health Fair in Recognition of GYN Cancer Awareness Month at St Charles Hospital Conference room ABCDSaturday, Sep 21, 8:30 AM
- Friday, Sep 27, 12:00 PM
- More Events at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks Room
- Understanding and Countering Bias in Professional and Personal Environments at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks RoomSaturday, Oct 12, 9:30 AM
- Writers Reading: Kim Fu Reads from "The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore" at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks RoomSaturday, Oct 5, 2:00 PM
- Writers Writing: From Character to Story with Kim Fu at Deschutes Public Library- Downtown Bend Brooks RoomSaturday, Oct 5, 11:00 AM
- More Events on September 25, 2019
- Wednesday, Sep 25, 6:00 PM
- History Pub - Robert Sawyer, Conservation, & the Making of Central Oregon at East Bend Public LibraryWednesday, Sep 25, 12:00 PM
- Wednesday, Sep 25, 6:30 PM