Know Industry - Gene Editing: Promises, Perils, and Prospects
Join Portland State's Dr. Bryan Cwik to discuss gene editing and its potential impacts on biomedicine, agriculture, energy, and more.
Gene editing is one of the key technologies of the 21st century and the "fourth industrial revolution", with potentially revolutionary impacts in biomedicine, agriculture, energy, and materials science, among others. We will discuss the promises, perils, and prospects of gene editing, and important questions we must tackle in order to use this technology responsibly.
Bryan Cwik is Assistant Professor of Philosophy and University Studies at Portland State University. He earned his PhD at the University of Virginia, and prior to coming to Portland he was a postdoc at Penn State and taught at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He works in biomedical ethics, and teaches courses on biotechnology and the ethics of emerging medical technologies, global health, and environmental philosophy, among other topics.
Phone: (541) 312-1032
Event url: www.deschuteslibrary.org/calendar/event/42773
827 SW Deschutes Ave
Redmond, OR 97756
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- Healthy Beginnings - Free Health and Developmental Screening - Redmond on 9.8.17 at Redmond Early Learning Center, RedmondFriday, Sep 8, 9:00 AM
- Friday, Aug 25, 8:00 AM
- Saturday, Aug 26, 7:00 PM
- More Events at Redmond Public Library
- Saturday, Sep 30, 3:00 PM
- More Events on September 23, 2017
- Saturday, Sep 23, 4:00 PM
- Saturday, Sep 23, 3:00 PM
- Saturday, Sep 23, 9:30 AM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.